Main Page > Requirements > OAIS Use Cases > UC-1 Ingest > UC-1.3 Generation of AIP
 UC-1.3 Generation of AIP
||Generation of AIP
|| UC-1 Ingest
||Generate AIP generates an AIP that conforms to the archive’s data formatting and documentation standards. Generate AIP sends the SIP or AIP for audit to Administration>Audit Submission and receives back an audit report.
- Coordinate Updates
- Generate AIP
- Generate Descriptive Information
- Receive Submission
- Administration>Audit Submission
- Administration>Establish Standards and Policies
- Data Management>Generate Report
|| UC-1.2 Quality Assurance
||Receive Submission transmits SIP to Generate AIP (Step 6 of UC-1.2)
||Generate AIP sends AIP (that conforms to the archive’s data formatting and documentation standards) to Coordinate Updates and to Generate Descriptive Information.
- Generate AIP receives SIP from Receive Submission (OAIS Figure 4-2:Functions of Ingest Page 4-5)
- Generate AIP extracts Content Information from SIP (OAIS Page 4-50)
- Generate AIP extracts Preservation Description Information (PDI) from SIP (OAIS Page 4-50)
- Administrator adds or modifies PDI if necessary (OAIS Page 4-50)
- Generate AIP receives archive standards and policies from Administration>Establish Standards and Policies (OAIS Page 4-11)
- Generate AIP requests report from Data Management>Generate Report on additional information to be included in the AIP's descriptive information, and that is necessary to complete the AIP (OAIS Page 4-6)
- Generate AIP receives report from Data Management>Generate Report (OAIS Figure F-1:Composite of Functional Entities Page F-2)
- Generate AIP produces required descriptive information for AIP, based on requirements provided in the report received from Data Management>Generate Report (OAIS 22.214.171.124, page 4-6)
- Generate AIP conducts format conversions, data representation conversions, and reorganization of SIP content as necessary, according to data formatting and documentation standards.(OAIS 126.96.36.199, page 4-6)
- Generate AIP assembles AIP (OAIS Page 4-6)
- Generate AIP provides AIP to Generate Descriptive Information (OAIS Figure 4-2:Functions of Ingest Page 4-5)
- Generate AIP sends SIP or AIP to Administration>Audit Submission (OAIS Page 4-6)
- Generate AIP receives SIP or AIP audit report from Administration>Audit Submission (OAIS Page 4-11, 4-12)
- Generate AIP sends AIP to Coordinate Updates (OAIS Figure 4-2:Functions of Ingest Page 4-5)
AIP audit report (Step 11) indicates that SIP or AIP does not meet the requirements of the archive or review committee (OAIS Page 4-11, 4-12, section 188.8.131.52)
- Administration>Audit Submission reports liens to Producer, who resubmits SIP or appeals decision to Administration (OAIS Page 4-11, 4-12, section 184.108.40.206)
Page 4-6, Section 220.127.116.11: "The Generate AIP function transforms one or more SIPs into one or more AIPs that conform to the archive’s data formatting and documentation standards. This may involve file format conversions, data representation conversions or reorganization of the content information in the SIPs. The Generate AIP function may issue report requests to Data Management to obtain reports of information needed by the Generate AIP function to produce the Descriptive Information that completes the AIP. This function sends SIPs or AIPs for audit to the Audit Submission function in Administration, and receives back an audit report."
Page 4-11, 4-12, Section 18.104.22.168: "The Audit Submission function will verify that submissions (SIP or AIP) meet the specifications of the Submission Agreement.... An audit report is provided to Ingest. After the audit process is completed, any liens are reported to the Producer, who will then resubmit the SIP to Ingest or appeal the decision to Administration. After the audit is completed, a final ingest report is prepared and provided to the Producer and to Negotiate Submission Agreement."
Page 4-11, Section 22.214.171.124: "Based on these inputs, archive standards and policies are established and sent to other Administration functions and the other Functional Entities for implementation. The standards include format standards, documentation standards and the procedures to be followed during the Ingest process."
Page 4-50, Section 4.3.2: "The simplest form of the process involves removing the Content Information, PDI and Package Descriptors from the Producer transfer media and queuing them for storage by the Archival Storage and Data Management functional entities. In more complex cases, the PDI and Package Descriptors may have to be extracted from the Content Information or input by OAIS personnel during the ingest function; the encoding of the information objects or their allocation to files may have to be changed."
- It is not clear what infomation is being requested from Data Management>Generate Report. OAIS s 126.96.36.199 (p 4-6) states "The Generate AIP function may issue report requests to Data Management to obtain reports of information needed by the Generate AIP function to produce the Descriptive Information that completes the AIP." This seems to suggest that Generate Report is providing information about how to assemble the AIP (such as requirements for the PDI and packaging information). These would be provided to the Data Management Database by Establish Policies and Standards.
- Not true. On further reading, it seems that the information in the report is supplemental descriptive information that already exists in the Data Management database, that is needed to complete the descriptive information required by the AIP. Step
- Step 2 and Step 3 are inferred from text on page 4-50. The OAIS does not explicitly state that content and PDI extraction takes place as part of the Generate AIP activity.