Artefactual Systems, Archivematica Dev Mtg, 2013-08-28
- Holly added a parallel compression option for AIPs (issue #5484).
- Mike C added storage of failure reports to the email failure reports microservice and added an administration page for viewing/deleting stored failure reports (issue #1929).
- Holly added logic to delete AIPs when a delete request is approved (issue #5250).
- Holly worked on the AIP Pointer file (issue #5159).
- Mike C fixed a minor issue with dashboard status icon help text (issue #5468).
- Misty has been working on improving characterization performance (nailgun integration: issue #5509, using a RAM disk: issue #5504, disabling redundant checksum generation: issue #5512, and looking at other tools to bypass FITS).
- Mike C created a 1.0 branch into which new feature branches will be merged.
- Justin reports that Archivist's ToolKit work will be deployed for testing this week
- Justin reports that a test install of the forensic disk imaging branch will be deployed this week
- Justin is working on new wiki page for using our virtual appliance
 Other / Community
- Courtney is putting together a talk about PREMIS and one about Archivematica 1.0 for iPres 201
- Justin reports that UBC is testing Archivematica with EduCloud
- Courtney reports that we'll have new TRAC audit wiki by next week, for population with our AM fulfillments
- Courtney is speaking on November 11 in NYC at their Archivists Round Table meeting
 Chat log
<qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5484 <Holly> Holly removed the spurious 'removal from backlog' PREMIS events #5246 <qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5246 <mcantelon> [dev] Mike C added storage of failure reports to the email failure reports microservice and added an administration page for viewing/deleting stored failure reports. (issue #1929) <qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/1929 <Holly> Holly actually deletes AIPs when a delete request is approved #5250 <qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5250 <Holly> Holly is mostly done the AIP Pointer file. #5159 It is generated and passed to the storage service and updated by the storage service as needed. Confirming that the METS and PREMIS stuff is all right with Evelyn, and she's figuring out how to deal with nested compression formats (i.e. .tar.bz2) <qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5159 <JustinS> mcantelon you are creating a new 1.0 branch , as well? <MikeG-> Wow Holly, looks like you're certainly dealing with the Terrifying Planet Of The AIPs. <mcantelon> JustinS: Yeah, I've created it (it's just called "1.0"). * JustinS groans MikeG <evelyn1> haha, next up, planet of the DIPS! <evelyn1> the lesser-known sequel <mcantelon> JustinS: It's got a merge of the storage service branch with master. <courtney> evelyn1: they are all just dumb goofoffs who don't perform or render as well as the AIPs <evelyn1> yes, but everybody loves them anyway <Misty> Misty's been working on improving format characterization performance, tackling a few angles <Misty> 1) Using a nailgun server to keep the JVM startup time down, reducing startup time for every FITS invocation (#5509), saving roughly 1-2 seconds per FITS invocation <qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5509 <Misty> 2) Using a RAM disk to work around the fact that FITS is highly I/O bound (#5504) <qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5504 <Misty> 3) Disable redundant checksum generation, as we already do that in another phase (#5512) <qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5512 <Misty> 4) Forego FITS entirely for some file formats, going straight to specialist tools like exiftool and mediainfo - this looks like it can offer potentially as much as a 20x speed improvement <mcantelon> MikeG-: "Planet of the AIPs"... that's awesome. :D <mcantelon> Misty: Nice!!! <Holly> Anything else for dev? <JustinS> that should be it for the last week, let's do deployment now? <mcantelon> Mike C fixed a minor issue with dashboard status icon help text (issue #5468). <qubot> Links: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5468 ... <ARTi> also worked on a new 10.2 virtualbox, its on hold atm <ARTi> I believe JustinS is making some fixes to the dev first <ARTi> 0.10.x* <courtney> ARTi: i think we're nixing that release <courtney> too much testing necessary <courtney> JustinS: is updating documentation and posting an update to my post on the user forum * JustinS found a method to fix the networking issue in the current virtual appliance, I tested it on linux and windows * JustinS am working on a wiki page showing the workaround, then I will post a link to the user forum <ARTi> ! <ARTi> JustinS: you rock! <MikeG-> Nice JustinS <mcantelon> JustinS: Nice! <JustinS> ARTi I will show you what I did, maybe you can reproduce to confirm my results? <ARTi> yeah, totally.. I can go through the walk through, q/a the docs <JustinS> ARTi cool thx <courtney> I second the rocking comments <Holly> Docs? * JustinS is working on new wiki page for using virtual appliance (see above) that is docs <evelyn1> ARTi: pasadena telecon coming up, pls see pm <ARTi> evelyn1: yep, on it <ARTi> thanks! <courtney> courtney is putting together a talk about PREMIS and one about Archivematica 1.0 for iPres 2013 in Lisbon next week <Holly> Community, anything else? <courtney> We'll have new TRAC audit wiki by next week, for population with our AM fulfillments <courtney> i'll need mcantelon to put up the drupal site for me in mid-sept <courtney> then i'll populate it <courtney> Community - we have a User group meeting at DLF meeting in Austin in November on their schedule <courtney> Community - Courtney is speaking on NOv 11 in NYC at their Archivists Round Table meeting - 120+ attendees