Meeting 20111026

From Archivematica
Jump to: navigation, search

[edit] Development

  • Jesus is working in the new tabs required, trying to reuse the same code for each tab, etc and will start the rights dialog today
  • Joseph reported that unicode characters are breaking ingest again, this is being re-opened for 0.8
  • Jesus is working on Django for new tabs, metadata edit templates etc.
  • Jesus is working on sword interface for DIP upload to qubit; it works via the command-line only right now
  • Joseph will spend some time looking over the code today, to make sure distributed system will look like it will work. He remembers hard coding some stuff to localhost in the code in early dev of 0.8
  • Joseph tried tweeking the upstart scripts again, after encountering the problem where multiple servers would be running.

[edit] Deployment

  • At CVA tomorrow, we'll do a local ICA-AtoM trunk install on the CVA LAN to test upload and then discuss plan for creating/testing VMs during a meeting

[edit] Chat log

(10:32:56 AM) djjuhasz: Archivematica crew, the stage is yours
(10:33:40 AM) epmclellan1: hi
(10:33:42 AM) joseph: morning all
(10:33:45 AM) Sevein: hey!
(10:34:03 AM) djjuhasz: (thanks again for taking notes JessicaB)
(10:34:21 AM) mjsuhonos: ^^ thisa
(10:34:21 AM) peterVG: and the wicked cookies!
(10:34:30 AM) Sevein: I'm working in the new tabs required, trying to reuse the same code for each tab, etc and will start the rights dialog today
(10:34:32 AM) epmclellan1: I can take Archivematica notes
(10:34:54 AM) joseph: thank you very much epmclellan
(10:34:54 AM) ARTi: morning *
(10:35:22 AM) djjuhasz: +1 for wicked cookies
(10:35:38 AM) epmclellan1: oh no, I missed the cookies
(10:35:39 AM) joseph: I think I got the 'bad names SIP' properly processing.
(10:35:45 AM) djjuhasz: epmclellan1: bwahahaha
(10:35:48 AM) epmclellan1: joseph: that's great!
(10:35:52 AM) djjuhasz: I'm eating the last one now!
(10:35:55 AM) epmclellan1: djjuhasz: I'll remember this
(10:36:06 AM) joseph: after I commited that, I tried with a unicode character in the file name and it immediatly brokke
(10:36:14 AM) epmclellan1: oh
(10:36:45 AM) joseph: I added a unicode test sip, but it wouldn't allow me to commit the unicode file names to the repo, so I zipped them first
(10:37:52 AM) peterVG: issue number?
(10:38:08 AM) joseph: This was working in 0.7.1, but so much has changed since then. Having to find the proper escape sequences for putting unicode intot he database.
(10:38:25 AM) joseph: Old issue number (for 0.7.1) was http://code.google.com/p/archivematica/issues/detail?id=382&can=1&q=unicode&colspec=ID Milestone Component Type Status Priority Owner Summary
(10:38:40 AM) joseph: 382
(10:38:47 AM) peterVG: thx
(10:38:56 AM) joseph: I'll create a new one for 0.8
(10:39:24 AM) peterVG: okay
(10:39:40 AM) peterVG: epmclellan1: can we do ingest to access in trunk right now?
(10:39:47 AM) epmclellan1: yes
(10:39:48 AM) peterVG: given the ideal SIP?
(10:39:49 AM) peterVG: great
(10:40:12 AM) joseph: oh? sevein got uploads working? I thought that was still under dev
(10:40:18 AM) peterVG: sorry, I'm jumping ahead to CVA deploy/test for tomorrow
(10:40:37 AM) epmclellan1: I think I'm uploading DIP to qubit 1.09
(10:41:03 AM) peterVG: right, we'll want to get ready to test archivematica trunk to qubit trunk
(10:41:10 AM) epmclellan1: sorry, wasn't really looking at DIP upload yesterday, was looking at METS etc
(10:41:12 AM) Sevein: we can upload SIPs using the command line, but Archivematica can't do it yet
(10:41:46 AM) Sevein: joseph: we can work on it today if you want, just replace upload-qubit with a new script that I can send you (using php-cli, already a dependency in Archivematica)
(10:42:03 AM) joseph: sure
(10:42:10 AM) djjuhasz: joseph: MySQL should handle unicode characters without escaping
(10:42:12 AM) joseph: works with the current mets in the archivematica dev?
(10:42:13 AM) peterVG: Sevein: that's what you're currently working on for Dashboard as well ,right (Access tab)?
(10:42:33 AM) djjuhasz: joseph: Just need to make sure the tables are created using UTF character encoding
(10:42:45 AM) Sevein: peterVG: well, right now trying to adapt my backbone code for multiple tabs, transfer tab, rights editor...
(10:42:56 AM) peterVG: Sevein: okay
(10:43:06 AM) peterVG: just wondering what we can test at CVA tomorrow
(10:43:24 AM) epmclellan1: what's the focus? Scalability?
(10:43:26 AM) peterVG: 1) Archivematica 0.8 MCP refactor with CoV SIPs
(10:43:35 AM) peterVG: yes, scalability for that (1) ^
(10:43:45 AM) peterVG: and (2) upload of DIPs to CVA ICA-AtoM VM
(10:44:15 AM) Sevein: CVA ICA-AtoM VM is running trunk?
(10:44:16 AM) epmclellan1: if it's ICA-AtoM 1.1 they won't be able to do that via the dashboard
(10:44:43 AM) peterVG: right, so I'm wondering if that's best left for follow-up testing next week
(10:44:51 AM) joseph: that's right david, but which tables, how has the order or microservices changed since 0.7.1 ... Some things like the mets generation only handled unicode characters in the original name of the file, not the current name ... There are a number of bugs to still work out
(10:44:51 AM) Sevein: epmclellan1: I may be able to do that today... I can't promiss it but I have some ideas
(10:45:15 AM) epmclellan1: ok, thanks Sevein
(10:45:39 AM) peterVG: but we shouldn't postpone CVA any further. let's at least do (1), Jessica's ICA-AtoM 1.1 demo and (2) if Jesus makes progress today
(10:45:45 AM) djjuhasz: joseph: yes, I'm sure it's more complicated then it looks from the outside
(10:45:50 AM) joseph: python has two ways of expressing unicode, (native, and escaped) some methods support both, some don't
(10:46:01 AM) djjuhasz: o.O
(10:46:20 AM) Sevein: joseph: now is better in python v3, right?
(10:46:21 AM) djjuhasz: that sounds.... annoying
(10:46:39 AM) peterVG: there's also the issue of creating CVA VMs as per our deployment architecture and having CVA IT upload those and have them running. We can review and discuss this process yesterday rather than have all happen and complete in that one day
(10:47:01 AM) peterVG: *tomorrow* not yesterday :-)
(10:47:09 AM) epmclellan1: heh
(10:47:30 AM) djjuhasz: yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
(10:47:40 AM) epmclellan1: I sent CVA Imagemagick settings for their image access copies
(10:47:46 AM) epmclellan1: we can test those tomorrow
(10:47:52 AM) epmclellan1: still working on their video specs
(10:48:21 AM) epmclellan1: joseph: maybe you could update us on where you are with METS
(10:48:49 AM) joseph: RE: <Sevein> joseph: now is better in python v3, right? - No, archivematica uses 2.6.5
(10:49:10 AM) peterVG: Sevein and ARTi FYI; we'll just do a local ICA-AtoM trunk install on the CVA LAN to test upload and then discuss plan for creating/testing VMs during meeting tomorrow
(10:49:31 AM) Sevein: peterVG: ok
(10:49:37 AM) ARTi: ok sounds good
(10:49:45 AM) Sevein: joseph: yeah, I meant py3 gives better unicode support
(10:49:52 AM) peterVG: Sevein: we can just do CLI testing if that's all we have by then
(10:49:55 AM) peterVG: CLI upload
(10:49:59 AM) djjuhasz: ♫
(10:50:11 AM) Sevein: peterVG: ok
(10:50:18 AM) djjuhasz: ^ that took way more work then it warranted
(10:50:26 AM) peterVG: so tomorrow at 10am CVA well need Sevein epmclellan1 peterVG ARTi JessicaB
(10:50:27 AM) ARTi: heh
(10:50:38 AM) joseph: but py3 means a lot of changes in the code. They changed the structure of the language in a number of areas. I think twisted couldn't use py3, but we aren't usign twisted any more.
(10:50:42 AM) ARTi: peterVG: can I get away with 11am?  
(10:50:49 AM) peterVG: we'll start with status meeting on Archivematica/ICA-AtoM dev/deploy
(10:50:57 AM) peterVG: ARTi: yes, should be okay
(10:51:15 AM) ARTi: cool
(10:51:28 AM) peterVG: then Jessica will demo 1.2 while Arti & Sevein work on Archivematica trunk upgrade on LAN
(10:51:29 AM) ***djjuhasz is off the hook for CVA - woo-hoo!
(10:51:48 AM) joseph: Ok, if you guys aren't in the office tomorrow, I may work from home as well
(10:51:49 AM) djjuhasz: Not that they all aren't lovely people down there
(10:51:53 AM) peterVG: epmclellan1: I figure you better be there and gather minutes, requirements based on meeting, testing
(10:51:58 AM) epmclellan1: sure
(10:52:00 AM) djjuhasz: yeah, i'll work from home too
(10:52:27 AM) ARTi: offtopic-deployment -  Ive been working on CWH server most of the week,  Also worked on the dbconfig files on the mcp and transcoder debian packages - havnt tested though as launchpad had me in a queue for ~17hrs
(10:52:55 AM) peterVG: JessicaB: if you could please come at 11 then and be prepared to do demo. I expect there will be some discussion afterward. we should also address CoV common-look-feel template to prepare for basic Trillium customization
(10:52:55 AM) djjuhasz: ouch
(10:53:15 AM) peterVG: but JessicaB then you should be done by 12-12:30
(10:53:26 AM) peterVG: Sevein: do you know how to get there?
(10:53:45 AM) djjuhasz: Make sure you stress that Trillium is IE9 only - that my kill the deal
(10:53:45 AM) peterVG: okay, sorry to turn this into CVA planning mtg guys
(10:53:47 AM) joseph: It occured to me I should spend some time looking over the code today, to make sure distributed system will look like it will work. I remember hard coding some stuff to localhost in the code in early dev of 0.8
(10:53:51 AM) JessicaB: peterVG:  sure i can be there at 11. do they have trunk running there or will i demo on my machine with a projector
(10:54:23 AM) peterVG: JessicaB: you will demo from your machine with projector, not sure if they have Mac dongle so please bring
(10:54:24 AM) Sevein: peterVG: in Vanier Park, right?
(10:54:27 AM) peterVG: Sevein: yes
(10:54:42 AM) JessicaB: ok.
(10:54:46 AM) Sevein: peterVG: so I'll met with you at 10 am at the front door?
(10:54:58 AM) Sevein: s/met/meet
(10:55:06 AM) peterVG: you come into archives, into reference room, say you are from Artefactual and have a meeting. person at front desk will sign you in
(10:55:14 AM) Sevein: nice
(10:55:19 AM) peterVG: peterVG: I'll wait for you at the front entrance
(10:55:23 AM) peterVG: please note we are going for 11am
(10:55:31 AM) peterVG: will send email this morning
(10:55:58 AM) Sevein: ok, 11am
(10:56:21 AM) peterVG: okay sorry, didn't mean to turn this into CVA planning meeting
(10:56:24 AM) peterVG: more dev news?
(10:56:37 AM) mjsuhonos left the room (quit: Quit: Leaving.).
(10:56:38 AM) peterVG: progress on roadmap finalized at last week's meeting?
(10:56:44 AM) mjsuhonos [~Adium@184.175.39.177] entered the room.
(10:57:09 AM) epmclellan1: joseph has been working on the METS implementation
(10:57:10 AM) joseph: I tried tweeking the upstart scripts again, after encountering the problem where multiple servers would be running.
(10:57:32 AM) ARTi: joseph: any luck?
(10:57:33 AM) joseph: it's looking better, but logs to /tmp/
(10:57:51 AM) joseph: need to mimmic for the client
(10:57:52 AM) ARTi: as a temporary measure?
(10:58:36 AM) ***ARTi looks
(10:59:02 AM) joseph: I don't think we should worrry about it being in the /tmp/ directory for 0.8. There is too much output to keep it around.
(10:59:16 AM) joseph: everything we really need to log is in the database
(10:59:22 AM) ARTi: sounds good.
(10:59:32 AM) joseph: note: /tmp/ gets wiped on boot
(10:59:47 AM) ARTi: mmhmm
(10:59:53 AM) joseph: the logs are really only to help us debug
(11:00:03 AM) mjsuhonos: joseph:  aw man, i've bot /tmp all over my boot
(11:00:12 AM) mjsuhonos: s/got/
(11:00:35 AM) peterVG: okay, let's maybe leave it at that for today's meeting. 
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox