UM archival storage
During archival storage, the AIP is moved into its storage repository.
Should you run into an error during archival storage, please see Error handling.
Storing the AIP
- Once ingest is complete, selecting a location to "Store AIP" in the Actions drop-down menu compresses and zips the AIP and moves it into Archival storage.
- In the demo version of Archivematica the AIP storage directory is /sharedDirectoryStructure/www/AIPsStore/. In other environments it can be a remote network mounted directory.
- The AIP directories are broken down into UUID quad directories* for efficient storage and retrieval. (*UUID quad directories: Some file systems limit the number of items allowed in a directory, Archivematica uses a directory tree structure to store AIPs. The tree is based on the AIP UUIDs. The UUID is broken down into manageable 4 character pieces, or "UUID quads", each quad representing a directory. The first four characters (UUID quad) of the AIP UUID will compose a sub directory of the AIP storage. The second UUID quad will be the name of a sub directory of the first, and so on and so forth, until the last four characters (last UUID Quad) create the leaf of the AIP store directory tree, and the AIP with that UUID resides in that directory.)
- The Archival storage tab in the Archivematica dashboard consists of a table with information about the stored AIPs (figure 1). Use the up and down arrows in the column headers to sort by AIP name, size, UUID or date. Note that at the bottom of the Size column is the total size of the stored AIPs.
- To open a copy of the AIP, click on the AIP name. You can then open or download the zipped AIP.
- To search the AIP index, use the search bar at the top of the screen.
- The index includes the AIP contents and metadata.
- Search results show AIPs and AIP parts with their UUIDs and the ability to click on the raw ElasticSearch file and view it in another screen. (figure 2)
- More information on Archivematica's AIP structure and the METS/PREMIS file is available on the Archivematica wiki: see AIP structure and METS.
Searching the AIP store
In Figure 1, below, you can see the search bar across the top of the Archival Storage tab page in the Dashboard. Figure 2 shows an example of search results.
- As of the 0.10 release, all textual content and METS metadata is indexed and searchable.
- Clicking on search results allows for local download of the entire AIP. Clicking on a file will result in opening the file if your browser has a viewer, or downloading it if your browser does not.
- By clicking on "View raw" next to a search result, you can also view the raw JSON data that contains the METS data, the Archivematica version that generated the data, the AIP UUID, the time indexing occurred, and the relative file path within the AIP.
For information on uploading the DIP, go to Access.