Meeting 20110323

From Archivematica
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 218: Line 218:
 
(10:56:58 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Ok. finis.
 
(10:56:58 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Ok. finis.
 
</pre>
 
</pre>
 +
[[Category:meetings]]

Latest revision as of 15:27, 21 September 2011

Contents

[edit] Development

  • Joseph is working on Issue 292
    • He is still having problems where it looks like it's having errors when a child thread tries to exit. Needs more testing, and consideration of creating a custom class derived from server.service
  • Austin added clamav current ppa (http://code.google.com/p/archivematica/issues/detail?id=292#c6), this repo attempts to keep up to date with clamav releases
  • Austin dropped the 0.96 clamav backport
  • Austin is still working on Fiwalk, he's having some trouble with libraries
  • Austin is working with curators workbench, got x86 packages working in archivematica.. amd64 is still having issues
  • Austin is going to look at maven repo helper to help build cleaner packages
  • Austin added transcoder db to the debian package, and included it for db creation in the vm-environment scripts
  • As a proof of concept, Joseph got PDFs to normalize on PRONOM id
    • However, this may be problematic because FITS misidentifies AI files as PDF

[edit] Documentation

[edit] Deployment

  • Jesus is having difficulty trouble-shooting an uploadDIP problem at IMF, due mainly to lack of remote access
    • He has asked for an Apache error log, that's where it stands now

[edit] Chat log

(10:30:55 AM) epmclellan: calling berwin22 and Austin
(10:31:06 AM) berwin22: Issue 478 <http://code.google.com/p/archivematica/issues/detail?id=478>:Enable shutdown of MCP server using 'kill' and/or 'ctrl-c'
is quite the rabbit hole
(10:28:18 AM) Sevein: and even more in some circunstances. but we already knew this.
(10:28:29 AM) Sevein: keep lft/rgt values updates is very slow.
(10:28:34 AM) epmclellan: Jessica  Bushey: can't really think of anything
(10:28:35 AM) david.juhasz: Sevein: Really?!?
(10:28:40 AM) david.juhasz: I didn't know that
(10:29:02 AM) Sevein: david.juhasz: yes, I discovered it as part of the LAC work
(10:29:20 AM) Sevein: but I think we can't get rid of that for 1.2
(10:29:25 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Do you want me to add that note to the Testing section Sevein?
(10:29:28 AM) Sevein: maybe include it as part of a future design
(10:29:36 AM) Jessica  Bushey: ok.
(10:29:43 AM) Sevein: Jessica  Bushey: ok
(10:29:53 AM) Sevein: hehe that wasn't a response to your question
(10:30:07 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Taking notes is confusing…. :)
(10:30:20 AM) david.juhasz: amen to that :)
(10:30:39 AM) david.juhasz: Archivematica!
(10:30:41 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Meeting over. Evelyn you are ON! Go Archivematica Team Go!
(10:30:47 AM) epmclellan: oh boy!
(10:30:54 AM) david.juhasz: Rah rah, sis boom bah
(10:31:00 AM) epmclellan: calling berwin22 and Austin
(10:31:11 AM) berwin22: Issue 478 <http://code.google.com/p/archivematica/issues/detail?id=478>:Enable shutdown of MCP server using 'kill' and/or 'ctrl-c'
is quite the rabbit hole
(10:31:57 AM) Austin: finished up imf deployment diagram
(10:32:15 AM) Austin: added clamav current ppa (http://code.google.com/p/archivematica/issues/detail?id=292#c6), this repo attempts to keep up to date with clamav releases, 
(10:32:27 AM) Austin: also.. Im dropping the 0.96 clamav backport I built
(10:32:41 AM) Sevein: berwin22: "rabiit hole" == difficult?
(10:33:05 AM) Austin: Sevein: you had some ideas on this a while ago, maybe?
(10:33:19 AM) david.juhasz: Sevein: rabbit hole means that you keep digging and the hole keeps going on... and on... and on
(10:33:22 AM) Sevein: on listening to UNIX signals?
(10:33:28 AM) berwin22: I've been trying to get it all worked out. Still having problems where it looks like it's having errors when a child thread tries to exit. Needs more testing, and consideration of creating a custom class derived from server.service
(10:33:29 AM) Austin: Sevein: yeah
(10:33:49 AM) Sevein: I have never done it, sorry
(10:34:12 AM) Sevein: I guess that it would be possible if your main is running under a try / except block?
(10:34:26 AM) Sevein: like the KeyInterrupt exception when you run the main code
(10:34:55 AM) Sevein: no idea :(
(10:35:14 AM) berwin22: that would work in normal python, but twisted is another game.
(10:35:27 AM) Sevein: I see
(10:36:26 AM) berwin22: I have a decent idea of where this is all going, but it feels like a considerable amount of time for something so simple
(10:30:47 AM) epmclellan: oh boy!
(10:30:54 AM) david.juhasz: Rah rah, sis boom bah
(10:31:00 AM) epmclellan: calling berwin22 and Austin
(10:31:11 AM) berwin22: Issue 478 <http://code.google.com/p/archivematica/issues/detail?id=478>:Enable shutdown of MCP server using 'kill' and/or 'ctrl-c'
is quite the rabbit hole
(10:32:02 AM) Austin: finished up imf deployment diagram
(10:32:20 AM) Austin: added clamav current ppa (http://code.google.com/p/archivematica/issues/detail?id=292#c6), this repo attempts to keep up to date with clamav releases, 
(10:32:32 AM) Austin: also.. Im dropping the 0.96 clamav backport I built
(10:32:46 AM) Sevein: berwin22: "rabiit hole" == difficult?
(10:33:10 AM) Austin: Sevein: you had some ideas on this a while ago, maybe?
(10:33:24 AM) david.juhasz: Sevein: rabbit hole means that you keep digging and the hole keeps going on... and on... and on
(10:33:27 AM) Sevein: on listening to UNIX signals?
(10:33:33 AM) berwin22: I've been trying to get it all worked out. Still having problems where it looks like it's having errors when a child thread tries to exit. Needs more testing, and consideration of creating a custom class derived from server.service
(10:33:34 AM) Austin: Sevein: yeah
(10:33:54 AM) Sevein: I have never done it, sorry
(10:34:17 AM) Sevein: I guess that it would be possible if your main is running under a try / except block?
(10:34:31 AM) Sevein: like the KeyInterrupt exception when you run the main code
(10:35:00 AM) Sevein: no idea :(
(10:35:19 AM) berwin22: that would work in normal python, but twisted is another game.
(10:35:32 AM) Sevein: I see
(10:36:31 AM) berwin22: I have a decent idea of where this is all going, but it feels like a considerable amount of time for something so simple
(10:38:14 AM) epmclellan: other dev news?
(10:38:16 AM) Austin: berwin22: have you asked in #twsited on freenode?
(10:38:22 AM) Austin: played with fiwalk, having trouble with some libraries.. going to work on this more today
(10:38:35 AM) berwin22: yes, the log is in the issue
(10:39:02 AM) Austin: played with curators workbench, got x86 packages working in archivematica.. amd64 is still having issues
(10:39:12 AM) Austin: going to look at maven repo helper to help build cleaner packages..
(10:39:33 AM) Austin: added transcoder db to the debian package, and included it for db creation in the vm-environment scripts
(10:40:06 AM) berwin22: pdf's are normalized based on their pronom id
(10:40:29 AM) epmclellan: berwin22: that might not be a good thing
(10:40:38 AM) berwin22: it was a proof of concept
(10:40:41 AM) epmclellan: since FITS misidentifies AI files as PDF
(10:40:49 AM) epmclellan: ok
(10:41:14 AM) epmclellan: On that topic, I've been working on testing FITS output for file format identification reliability
(10:41:24 AM) epmclellan: http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Normalizing_based_on_FITS_output
(10:41:43 AM) Sevein: sorry I have to go now! have a nice day
(10:41:47 AM) epmclellan: bye
(10:41:50 AM) david.juhasz: bye Sevein
(10:35:19 AM) berwin22: that would work in normal python, but twisted is another game.
(10:35:32 AM) Sevein: I see
(10:36:31 AM) berwin22: I have a decent idea of where this is all going, but it feels like a considerable amount of time for something so simple
(10:38:19 AM) epmclellan: other dev news?
(10:38:21 AM) Austin: berwin22: have you asked in #twsited on freenode?
(10:38:27 AM) Austin: played with fiwalk, having trouble with some libraries.. going to work on this more today
(10:38:40 AM) berwin22: yes, the log is in the issue
(10:39:07 AM) Austin: played with curators workbench, got x86 packages working in archivematica.. amd64 is still having issues
(10:39:17 AM) Austin: going to look at maven repo helper to help build cleaner packages..
(10:39:38 AM) Austin: added transcoder db to the debian package, and included it for db creation in the vm-environment scripts
(10:40:11 AM) berwin22: pdf's are normalized based on their pronom id
(10:40:34 AM) epmclellan: berwin22: that might not be a good thing
(10:40:43 AM) berwin22: it was a proof of concept
(10:40:46 AM) epmclellan: since FITS misidentifies AI files as PDF
(10:40:54 AM) epmclellan: ok
(10:41:19 AM) epmclellan: On that topic, I've been working on testing FITS output for file format identification reliability
(10:41:29 AM) epmclellan: http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Normalizing_based_on_FITS_output
(10:41:48 AM) Sevein: sorry I have to go now! have a nice day
(10:41:52 AM) epmclellan: bye
(10:41:55 AM) david.juhasz: bye Sevein
(10:44:40 AM) epmclellan: today I'm going to work on mocking up different kinds of reports
(10:44:48 AM) epmclellan: i.e. normalization reports
(10:44:48 AM) ***david.juhasz wonders if he lets the archivematica tide wash over him, will he eventually grok it through osmosis?
(10:44:58 AM) epmclellan: well, that's never worked for me
(10:45:07 AM) epmclellan: :)
(10:45:41 AM) epmclellan: will add report mockups to http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Reporting
(10:45:46 AM) david.juhasz: okay, i'll just keep going "mmmhmm"
(10:46:12 AM) epmclellan: we have an Archivematica dev meeting scheduled for Friday
(10:46:31 AM) epmclellan: we'll go over upcoming development then, especially re reports, I think
(10:39:38 AM) Austin: added transcoder db to the debian package, and included it for db creation in the vm-environment scripts
(10:40:11 AM) berwin22: pdf's are normalized based on their pronom id
(10:40:34 AM) epmclellan: berwin22: that might not be a good thing
(10:40:43 AM) berwin22: it was a proof of concept
(10:40:46 AM) epmclellan: since FITS misidentifies AI files as PDF
(10:40:54 AM) epmclellan: ok
(10:41:19 AM) epmclellan: On that topic, I've been working on testing FITS output for file format identification reliability
(10:41:29 AM) epmclellan: http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Normalizing_based_on_FITS_output
(10:41:48 AM) Sevein: sorry I have to go now! have a nice day
(10:41:52 AM) epmclellan: bye
(10:41:55 AM) david.juhasz: bye Sevein
(10:44:45 AM) epmclellan: today I'm going to work on mocking up different kinds of reports
(10:44:53 AM) epmclellan: i.e. normalization reports
(10:44:53 AM) ***david.juhasz wonders if he lets the archivematica tide wash over him, will he eventually grok it through osmosis?
(10:45:03 AM) epmclellan: well, that's never worked for me
(10:45:12 AM) epmclellan: :)
(10:45:46 AM) epmclellan: will add report mockups to http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Reporting
(10:45:51 AM) david.juhasz: okay, i'll just keep going "mmmhmm"
(10:46:17 AM) epmclellan: we have an Archivematica dev meeting scheduled for Friday
(10:46:36 AM) epmclellan: we'll go over upcoming development then, especially re reports, I think
(10:47:09 AM) epmclellan: re deployment
(10:47:24 AM) epmclellan: Jesus is having difficulty trouble-shooting and uploadDIP problem at IMF
(10:47:30 AM) epmclellan: due mainly to lack of remote access
(10:48:00 AM) epmclellan: he has asked for an Apache error log, that's where it stands now
(10:49:48 AM) epmclellan: Misty: you added a great post to the Archivematica discussion list
(10:49:59 AM) epmclellan: https://groups.google.com/group/archivematica/browse_thread/thread/267a008ac423b820?hl=en
(10:50:08 AM) david.juhasz: yeah, that looked very in-depth!
(10:50:32 AM) epmclellan: and exciting, it offers the possibility of wrapping lossless JP2 images in an MXF wrapper
(10:50:40 AM) epmclellan: along with an LPCM audio stream
(10:50:48 AM) epmclellan: which, take my word for it, would be cool
(10:51:21 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Cool!
(10:51:35 AM) epmclellan: It would essentially be Motion JPEG 2000 video
(10:51:35 AM) david.juhasz: yeah, it sounds.... uhm, coool!
(10:51:42 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Excellent
(10:45:03 AM) epmclellan: well, that's never worked for me
(10:45:12 AM) epmclellan: :)
(10:45:46 AM) epmclellan: will add report mockups to http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Reporting
(10:45:51 AM) david.juhasz: okay, i'll just keep going "mmmhmm"
(10:46:17 AM) epmclellan: we have an Archivematica dev meeting scheduled for Friday
(10:46:36 AM) epmclellan: we'll go over upcoming development then, especially re reports, I think
(10:47:14 AM) epmclellan: re deployment
(10:47:29 AM) epmclellan: Jesus is having difficulty trouble-shooting and uploadDIP problem at IMF
(10:47:35 AM) epmclellan: due mainly to lack of remote access
(10:48:05 AM) epmclellan: he has asked for an Apache error log, that's where it stands now
(10:49:53 AM) epmclellan: Misty: you added a great post to the Archivematica discussion list
(10:50:04 AM) epmclellan: https://groups.google.com/group/archivematica/browse_thread/thread/267a008ac423b820?hl=en
(10:50:13 AM) david.juhasz: yeah, that looked very in-depth!
(10:50:37 AM) epmclellan: and exciting, it offers the possibility of wrapping lossless JP2 images in an MXF wrapper
(10:50:45 AM) epmclellan: along with an LPCM audio stream
(10:50:53 AM) epmclellan: which, take my word for it, would be cool
(10:51:26 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Cool!
(10:51:40 AM) epmclellan: It would essentially be Motion JPEG 2000 video
(10:51:40 AM) david.juhasz: yeah, it sounds.... uhm, coool!
(10:51:47 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Excellent
(10:52:01 AM) epmclellan: and another user in Newfoundland is going to test it
(10:52:13 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Sweet
(10:52:17 AM) david.juhasz: Wasn't there issues around Jpeg 2000 for preservation format?
(10:52:32 AM) epmclellan: yes
(10:52:54 AM) epmclellan: but wrapped in MXF it could be a very good preservation format
(10:52:54 AM) david.juhasz: <-- trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about
(10:53:10 AM) david.juhasz: coo
(10:53:11 AM) epmclellan: we use TIFF for still images, but we could also use JPEG 2000
(10:53:20 AM) Jessica  Bushey: hmm...
(10:53:33 AM) epmclellan: lossless JPEG 2000
(10:53:47 AM) epmclellan: we'd like to make it a configurable option at some point
(10:54:02 AM) epmclellan: Jessica  Bushey: 
(10:54:06 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Yes lossless JPEG 2000 specification is built around TIFF 6.0 I think
(10:54:21 AM) Jessica  Bushey: epmclellan:  yes EV
(10:54:27 AM) epmclellan: sorry
(10:54:32 AM) epmclellan: typed something, then deleted etc
(10:54:45 AM) epmclellan: anyway, lossless JPEG 2000 has many good features
(10:54:52 AM) epmclellan: but in general there is a lack of tool support
(10:55:04 AM) epmclellan: uptake has not been as enthusiastic as some people thought
(10:55:21 AM) Jessica  Bushey: No never has… but that is changing
(10:55:22 AM) epmclellan: but one benefit is that they are smaller than lossless TIFFs
(10:55:26 AM) epmclellan: yes, I think so
(10:55:32 AM) Jessica  Bushey: much smaller
(10:55:41 AM) epmclellan: that matters a lot to some institutions
(10:55:51 AM) Jessica  Bushey: especially with massive holdings
(10:56:05 AM) epmclellan: I had some trouble converting multiple image formats to JP2 using ImageMagick
(10:56:35 AM) epmclellan: anyway... I think our meeting is probably finis
(10:56:50 AM) Jessica  Bushey: I've never used Image Magick. Most software programs have yet to embrace JP2.
(10:56:58 AM) Jessica  Bushey: Ok. finis.
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox