Meeting 20110316

From Archivematica
Revision as of 14:09, 16 March 2011 by David (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Development

  • Joseph has mainly been working on Transcoder stuff
  • Joseph fixed issue 471
    • issues with file names with apostrophes (') with mysql escaping.
    • Joseph also accidentally ommited one field (file UUID) forgetting that it will contain the file name. Missed this during testing as well.
  • Joseph is moving normalization paths into the database
  • Peter has been having some design discussions with Open Planets Foundation and Heather Bowden (PhD student at UNC) about Archivematica interaction with external format registry
  • Peter submitted our use cases for a REST Bag API to a collaborative group led by Educopia and Library of Congress (monthly group telecon, mostly US university libraries)
  • Links to Peter's work at http://groups.google.com/group/archivematica/browse_thread/thread/482b97e863dc264e?hl=en
  • Peter, Joseph and Evelyn discussed the 'rename' to start receiveSIP issue this morning, which was originally a work-around
    • Fixing this is a 0.7.1 priority
    • preference#1 moving or copying files to receiveSIP will just work (i.e. Archivematica starts processing)
    • preference#2 use the script Austin created at RAC to avoid the rename
  • see Penn State work on making each AIP its own git repository: https://github.com/MaxFisher/caps/blob/master/services/storage.py for out of the box versioning and auditing. Peter thinks this is a brilliant idea, and really wants to take a closer look at this for Archivematica

Documentation

  • Evelyn will create wiki page with instructions on restarting Archivematica
  • Evelyn will add details of client installs to our private wiki
  • Evelyn is updating the PREMIS metadata elements pages
  • Evelyn is harmonizing event names with the ones suggested or used by PREMIS (see issue 481)
  • Peter updated the News page to list upcoming Archivematica events

Deployment

  • Austin created a USB key image - he said it was slow
  • Joseph is going to investigate 0.7 USB keys for Peter today. needed for Archivematica workshop in Ottawa in 1.5 week. will switch to LiveDVD as backup plan but not preferred
  • Peter, Austin and Evelyn deployed Archivematica install at UBC Rare Books and Special Collections on Monday went really well
    • they had requisitoined a VMware server for Archivematica and managed to install dev environment (SVN) setup
    • Austin deep-sixed that and started fresh with Ubuntu package install which was done and working within half an hour!!
    • remaining issue is interfacing with MCP server shared directory in absence of our default Xubuntu Xfce desktop and Thunar
    • in absence of Thunar we are using Filezilla to move files into MCP shared directory but not ideal (i.e. no scripts, lots of extra copying/moving)

Chat log

(10:31:28 AM) david.juhasz: just give me a minute to set up for archivematica
(10:32:53 AM) david.juhasz: okay, ready
(10:32:55 AM) david.juhasz: dev?
(10:33:37 AM) berwin22: Transcoder stuff mainly
(10:33:56 AM) berwin22: fixed 471... issues with file names with "'"
(10:34:09 AM) berwin22: I think other charactors will also cause problems
(10:34:32 AM) berwin22: getting the meat of our normalization paths into the database
(10:34:49 AM) berwin22: That's about it for me for dev.
(10:35:29 AM) peterVG: I've been having some design discussions with Open Planets Foundation and Heather Bowden (PhD student at UNC) about Archivematica interaction with external format registry
(10:35:59 AM) MJ Suhonos: peterVG:  yes i've been trying to follow those (and doing so-so)
(10:36:05 AM) peterVG: I also submitted our use cases for a REST Bag API to a collaborative group led by Educopia and Library of Congress (monthly group telecon, mostly US university libraries)
(10:36:40 AM) peterVG: Links here: http://groups.google.com/group/archivematica/browse_thread/thread/482b97e863dc264e?hl=en
(10:36:43 AM) david.juhasz: berwin22: does your fix for 471 address other characters, or are other characters still a possible problem?
(10:37:30 AM) berwin22: the problem was with escaping charactors in the sql statement.
(10:37:34 AM) peterVG: ^ best part of submitting use cases was setting up my gitHub account and forking my first repo. I feel like I've just earned another geek badge
(10:38:06 AM) berwin22: I accidentally ommited one field (file UUID) forgetting, that it will contain the file name. Missed this during testing as well.
(10:38:22 AM) peterVG: berwin22: we were also discussing the 'rename' to start receiveSIP issue this morning
(10:38:44 AM) david.juhasz: nice one @ peterVG git fork :)
(10:38:55 AM) peterVG: 'rename' was basically a workaround
(10:38:58 AM) MJ Suhonos: peterVG:  does that mean we're moving to git in the new year?  please say yes
(10:39:14 AM) david.juhasz: berwin: is the UUID thing related to issue 471?
(10:39:22 AM) peterVG: preference#1 moving or copying files to receiveSIP will just work (i.e. Archivematica starts processing)
(10:39:42 AM) peterVG: preference#2 use the script Austin created at RAC to avoid the rename
(10:39:42 AM) berwin22: david: yes UUID is in relation to 471
(10:40:56 AM) peterVG: MJ Suhonos: moving all projects to git would be rough transition. let's consider using it for any new/R&D projects to get our feet wet
(10:41:15 AM) MJ Suhonos: woohoo!
(10:43:59 AM) peterVG: to bring this back to an Archivematica dev discussion: see Penn State work on making each AIP its own git repository: https://github.com/MaxFisher/caps/blob/master/services/storage.py
(10:44:09 AM) peterVG: ^ out of the box versioning and auditing
(10:44:53 AM) peterVG: brilliant idea. really want to take a closer look at this for Archivematica
(10:45:13 AM) david.juhasz: peterVG: You and ? discussed the 'rename' to start receiveSIP issue this morning?
(10:45:16 AM) peterVG: anyway, sorry guys. don't want to sidetrack
(10:45:24 AM) peterVG: david.juhasz: joseph and evelyn
(10:45:38 AM) peterVG: evelyn is going to follow-up on discussion group question about this
(10:45:51 AM) evelyn: hi, sorry, just doing some trouble-shooting with Paul Jordan
(10:45:52 AM) peterVG: joseph is adding this as a 0.7.1 priority
(10:46:19 AM) berwin22: Documentation questions:
1.  Do we have a place to document information on our client setups?
2.  Does anyone know of any instructions listed on wiki/elsewhere to restart archivematica?
Closest I can find is this:
http://archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Use_the_Live_USB [ step 7 ]

(10:46:52 AM) evelyn: since it's for clients, it should probably be on Artefactual's wiki maybe?
(10:47:00 AM) evelyn: not that it's there, but maybe that's where it should be?
(10:47:04 AM) evelyn: or on amos
(10:47:15 AM) peterVG: evelyn: yes (1) should be kept private. evelyn we can assemble from project reports
(10:47:16 AM) berwin22: our private wike
(10:47:18 AM) berwin22: wiki*
(10:47:20 AM) evelyn: yes
(10:47:39 AM) evelyn: we need to shut down and restart at UBC Library asap, unfortunately
(10:47:44 AM) peterVG: in fact, I think I may have already created placeholders for that
(10:47:47 AM) ***peterVG checking
(10:48:09 AM) peterVG: (2) I don't think we have this on the wiki right now anywhere
(10:48:23 AM) peterVG: berwin22: can you please check after meeting and add?
(10:48:45 AM) berwin22: I'm not sure what we are doing for distributed systems
(10:48:53 AM) berwin22: are we giving remote instructions?
(10:49:15 AM) berwin22: Evelyn, do you have a copy of the instructions you left at imf?
(10:49:32 AM) peterVG: not sure what you mean by that. let's chat after meeting. either way, we need *some* documentation on the wiki about restart
(10:49:35 AM) evelyn: At IMF we just shut down and restart the virtual machine
(10:49:44 AM) peterVG: ^ easy-peasy :-)
(10:49:47 AM) evelyn: i.e. the shut down icon or sudo reboot
(10:50:14 AM) evelyn: RAC is more complicated, Austin should be able to provide documentation
(10:50:27 AM) peterVG: evelyn: we've got the documentation from the RAC report
(10:50:35 AM) peterVG: just copy that into the wiki page to start with
(10:50:41 AM) evelyn: ok
(10:50:52 AM) peterVG: btw, there are placeholders on the private wiki under 'Archivematica deployments'
(10:51:00 AM) david.juhasz: evelyn is creating the restart instruction wiki page?
(10:51:01 AM) evelyn: ok, good to know
(10:51:15 AM) evelyn: yes, I'll create those pages
(10:51:34 AM) david.juhasz: k
(10:51:54 AM) david.juhasz: other doc news?
(10:52:06 AM) evelyn: I'm updating the PREMIS metadata elements pages
(10:52:07 AM) peterVG: is Misty here: I believe she is working on some docs?
(10:52:18 AM) evelyn: http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Metadata_elements
(10:52:36 AM) evelyn: it used to be all one page but was getting very long
(10:52:51 AM) evelyn: am also harmonizing event names with the ones suggested or used by PREMIS
(10:53:07 AM) david.juhasz: thanks for the link evelyn
(10:53:07 AM) evelyn: See http://code.google.com/p/archivematica/issues/detail?id=481
(10:53:23 AM) peterVG: I update the "News" page to list upcoming Archivematica events
(10:53:26 AM) peterVG: http://archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=News
(10:53:43 AM) peterVG: oops, forget PASIG in SanFran in May...
(10:54:02 AM) peterVG: Misty: any docs news?
(10:55:00 AM) david.juhasz: 5 minutes left
(10:56:07 AM) david.juhasz: nice somebody got the issue auto-linking working at Archivematica wiki :)
(10:56:15 AM) david.juhasz: Deployment?
(10:56:17 AM) peterVG: really?
(10:56:33 AM) david.juhasz: yep, see notes: http://www.archivematica.org/wiki/index.php?title=Meeting_20110316
(10:56:36 AM) berwin22: USB key image by Austin, he said it was slow.
(10:56:39 AM) david.juhasz: issue 481 autolinked
(10:57:18 AM) peterVG: right berwin22 is going to investigate 0.7 USB keys for me today. needed for Archivematica workshop in Ottawa in 1.5 week. will switch to LiveDVD as backup plan but not preferred
(10:57:46 AM) david.juhasz: UBC deploy?
(10:57:55 AM) david.juhasz: RBSC
(10:58:04 AM) david.juhasz: ?
(10:58:04 AM) peterVG: went really well
(10:58:18 AM) david.juhasz: was it RBSC, or a more general deployment?
(10:58:32 AM) peterVG: they had requisitoined a VMware server for Archivematica and managed to install dev environment (SVN) setup
(10:58:46 AM) peterVG: we deep-sixed that and started fresh with Ubuntu package install
(10:58:52 AM) peterVG: done and working within half an hour!!
(10:59:33 AM) david.juhasz: peterVG: it was you and Austin and?
(10:59:34 AM) peterVG: remaining issue is interfacing with MCP server shared directory in absence of our default Xubuntu Xfce desktop and Thunar
(10:59:48 AM) peterVG: me, austin and evelyn for follow-up training
(10:59:53 AM) peterVG: the Archivematica swat team!
(11:00:02 AM) peterVG: aka "the Archivematica people" 
(11:00:16 AM) peterVG: ^ what we were referred to as at RAC :-)
(11:00:21 AM) evelyn: :)
(11:00:40 AM) david.juhasz: heh
(11:00:47 AM) david.juhasz: alright, we're out of time
(11:01:00 AM) peterVG: in absence of THunar we are using Filezilla to move files into MCP shared directory but not ideal (i.e. no scripts, lots of extra copying/moving)
(11:01:17 AM) evelyn: yeah, it's pretty clunky
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox