Difference between revisions of "METS"
|Line 67:||Line 67:|
Revision as of 18:33, 15 March 2012
METS for Archivematica AIP
- The METS file will have a basic generic structure which will be present for all AIPs derived from different kinds of transfers.
- There may be one dmdSec for the AIP as a whole. Each original file may also have a dmdSec.
- The dmdSecs are numbered dmdSec_1, dmdSec_2 etc.
- The dmdSec contains Dublin Core metadata. If the user does not enter any DC metadata during transfer/ingest and no DC metadata was included in the transfer (eg as part of a DSpace export), there will be no dmdSec.
- The dmdSec may contain a reference to metadata in another file, such as a mets.xml file included in a DSpace export.
- There is one amdSec for each object.
- The amdSecs are numbered amdSec_1, amdSec_2 etc.
- Each amdSec will include one techMD and multiple digiprovMDs
- An amdSec for an original object may also contain one or more rightsMDs. The rightsMD may contain a reference to metadata in another file, such as a mets.xml file included in a DSpace export.
- There is one fileSec listing all files.
- The fileSec is organized into the following fileGrps:
- Original is required for all METS files.
- SubmissionDocumentation is included if the AIP includes submission documentation.
- Preservation is included if the AIP includes normalized files.
- Service and access may be used if the AIP contains those subfolders - i.e as the output of digitization workflows.
- License and text/ocr are used if the AIP was created from a DSpace export containing licenses and ocr text files.
- There is one structMap showing the physical layout of the files in the objects directory.
The dmdSec consists of simple Dublin Core, except for <isPartOf>, which is a qualification of <Relation>.
The descriptive metadata for DSpace collections are contained in the METS files that come with the DSpace export, so the Archivematica METS file will point to them using mdRef.
The amdSec consists of either PREMIS metadata created by Archivematica or (in the case of rights metadata) references to external content. The screenshot below shows the amdSec for a file that has two rightsMD sections, one with rights captured in the PREMIS metadata (rightsMD_1) and one pointing to rightsMD sections in an external METS file (rightsMD_2).
METS for Archivematica transfer
Archivematica creates a METS file for each transfer showing a structMap for the transfer.
Changes for 0.9
The following changes will be made to the structMap in Archivematica 0.9, files in the structMap will be ordered alphabetically (based on original name, not cleaned up name).