This page will document potential areas of improvement in Archivematica that will allow for better workflows with Avalon.
Artefactual and Avalon will seek to create:
- support for activities such as file characterization and preservation metadata extraction:
- digitized and born-digital AV materials.
- Integration with Archivematica or its components into Avalon ingestion workflows to provide:
- preservation metadata
- better packaging for long-term digital preservation activities
Two clear use-cases based on previous discussion (up to 8 March 2018), for which we can focus on and keep scope narrow. These are:
- Avalon first
- Process in Avalon and then send the package to Archivematica to generate an AIP
- Do we ignore the Fedora metadata entirely? - Do we transfer Fedora metadata as a digital object, but perform no special conversion mapping - Out-of-scope: Mapping/cross-walk to try and see Fedora metadata mapped into Archivematica
- AM first
- Collection of assets described in a batch manifest and they are processed and then picked up by Avalon
Two useful phrasings, that could be considered nuances on these, that came from the same meeting:
- As an user of Avalon send the output of a project to a repository and have institutional digital preservation policies applied to that collectionffor long-term preservation
- As a preservation specialist, in a catastrophic scenario, be able to round-trip from AM back into an instance of Avalon**
- NB Recognised that there is no hard-requirement to round-trip back into Avalon from Archivematica, though it was noted that it would be possible to learn quite a lot.
Out of scope
Versioning This is a very broad summary, but because of the potential for work to continue being completed on a 'unit' in Avalon, data will become out of date, and there may be a wish to see that updated in Archivematica. This is one example of where data might need updating or to be re-versioned. Others:
- AIP Update following updated in Avalon
- Data supplied as an asset to Avalon/Archivematica, e.g. VTT Subtitle Information, (addition of other languages/corrections, etc.)
- Other cases
What do we need?
- Northwest to work with Sarah to discuss use-cases
- Do we need more sample files/batches of data?
- Understand the current transfer issue being experienced with the initial setup - In progress.
- Is it required that the metadata in the batch ingest manifest is represented in the AIP METS file (in dmdSecs for example?)
- Will users have a need to populate the batch ingest manifest with metadata entered into Archivematica?
- Descriptive metadata?
- Rights metadata?
- When Avalon is being used to disseminate different quality files, which file(s) should be stored in the AIP?
- How should mulitple versions be modeled in the METS?
- Should the structure of files be modeled in the METS when structure XML files are included?
- Or is describing the presence and use of structure files sufficient?
- How should the presence of caption files be noted in the METS?
Exploration of Archivematica
- Progress and first impressions
- Ingest progress
- Exploration of the AIP generated from Avalon Batch Packages
- Immediate observations:
- Workflow questions
- Perceived or real gaps
- Questions Artefactual can answer about what Archivematica is doing/should be doing
- Relationship between Archivematica and Avalon, e.g position in workflow, pre-Avalon? post-Avalon? Something else?