Archivematica 1.11 and Storage Service 0.16 release notes
March ## 2020
Please see the installation instructions.
Archivematica 1.11 and Storage Service 0.16 have been tested in the following environments:
- Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit Server Edition
- Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit Server Edition
- CentOS 7 64-bit
For development purposes, most of our developers prefer to use Docker containers. These and all above supported environments are linked from the installation instructions above.
Note: Packages for CentOS/RHPM are available. Ubuntu packages will be available soon. Please see the installation instructions for more information.
PREMIS Event import
This feature allows the import of PREMIS events which took place prior to processing in Archivematica. The PREMIS events are written in an xml format (see sample data) and placed in the metadata folder of a transfer. The PREMIS events are then written to the AIP METS file.
This work was sponsored by Piql and the Norwegian Health Archives. Thank you!
S3 as a transfer source
This allows an Amazon S3 space to be used as a transfer source location. This feature is a community PR from Wellcome Collection. Thank you!
Easier access to AIP METS
This feature add a "View METS" button in the user interface when viewing an AIP in Archival Storage. The METS file is then downloaded to your desktop for your viewing pleasure.
- Documentation: pending
- Issue: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/644
This is a new transfer type that enables a zipped (non-bagged) package to be a transfer. Similar to the zipped bag transfer, the name of the package is used as the transfer name. This is a community contribution by Wellcome Collection. Thank you!
Add package name as configurable value to call backs
When using AIP, AIC, and DIP store callbacks, the package_name is now a configurable value. This is a community contribution from Concordia University Libraries, who developed this to facilitate an EPrints to Archivematica workflow. Thank you!
- Documentation: pending
- Issue: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/978
Performance and monitoring improvements
This is a collection of issues fixed that improve performance for processing at scale, and also enable performance monitoring through external applications such as Prometheus and Grafana.
These updates have been sponsored by Piql and the Norwegian Health Archives. Thank you!
- Commonly used database tables don't have indexes: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/907
- MCPServer should reuse database connections: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/913
- Archivematica does not output metrics to analyze its performance: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/906
- MCPService must process all transfer packages sent to it at once: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/911
- Some jobs run even when disabled: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/866
- "Check transfer directory for objects" executed multiple times: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/782
- index_aip crashes elasticsearch for large transfers: https://github.com/artefactual/archivematica/issues/1199
Improvements for full disks
Managing workflows when various spaces on the disk fill up is a recognized pain point for Archivematica users. This project makes three overall changes to storage space reporting in Archivematica and the Storage Service in an effort to mitigate these issues:
- Change the processing storage usage page to clarify storage paths/locations and improve usability
- Improve the transfer source location and AIP storage location pages to clarify storage paths/locations and improve usability
- Change Storage Service functionality to support the above changes.
- Documentation: pending
Changes to default normalization for videos/images
Archivematica's default FPR normalization rules were creating in some cases very large video files for arguably no sound preservation reason. After discussion and community consultation, we have removed default video normalization rules. Users can still "opt in" to the rules but they are not enabled by default in new or upgraded installations. Any custom changes you have made to your own FPR will still be maintained after upgrade. We also removed default rules for preservation for PNG, JPG, GIF and DNG still images. For full details and affected formats, see this comment in the issue ticket.
Allow users to choose whether to receive fail report emails
Users can now be configured to either receive fail report emails or not (previously all users received the emails). This is a community contribution from Hillel Arnold at Rockefeller Archive Center- thank you!
Change name of sanitize names micro-service
Following reading a paper by Elvia Arroyo-Ramirez we decided to change the name of this micro-service and align it more with the Library of Congress events vocabulary. The micro-service now displays as "Change transfer filenames" and "Change SIP filenames" in the Transfer and Ingest tabs respectively.
In short, the order of options in drop down menus were all over the place and it was driving us nuts so we finally tried to put them in more logical orders.
As discussed on the community forum the quarantine micro-service has been removed from Archivematica in this release.
- Issue: https://github.com/artefactual/archivematica/issues/598
- ADR: https://github.com/archivematica/archivematica-architectural-decisions/blob/master/0008-remove-quarantine.md
This button seemed redundant to the workflow so it's been removed.
- Non-Dublin Core columns cause metadata re-ingest to fail (Sponsored by Piql/NHA- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1139
- RuntimeError which was causing sporadic workflow issues (Community contribution by Jorik van Kemanade- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1108
- Reindexing large transfer backlog error (Community contribution by Matt LaChance- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/962
- Parallel bzip2 compression failing in am19rpm: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/606
- Fixity API endpoint and Fixity tool tail to check replicated AIPs (Sponsored by Piql/NHA- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1054
- Decision points break with 10 choices or more (Sponsored by Picturae- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/850
- S3 us-east-1 fails when chosen as region in the Storage Service (Community contribution by Joseph Anderson, Fashion Institution of Technology- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/922
- "Remove bagged files" reports failure when thumbnails aren't created: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/651
- Directories are greyed out while they still contain files available for arrangement (Sponsored by Simon Fraser University Archives- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/822
- Dublin Core dmdSec not created if filename has diacritics: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1073
- Cannot add metadata files through the UI (Sponsored by Piql/NHA- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1090
- GPG/TRANSFORMKEY being lost when reingesting an encrypted AIP: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/803
- Pointer file uses a mix of PREMIS2 and PREMIS3: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/820
- Failure to match in ArchivesSpace DIP Upload shows as success (Sponsored by Rockefeller Archive Center- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/258
- Allow S3 credentials to be blank (Community contribution by Wellcome Collection- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/712
- Version of METS in mets-reader-writer is an older version: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/637
- S3 bucket name can't be configured: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/558
- Pointer files for reingested AIP has two compression events: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1062
- Bags with metadata fail to ingest when additional metadata is added by automation tools (Sponsored by the Museum of Modern Art- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1022
- Transfer browser breaks if transfer source contains read protected directories: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1019
- AIP status in dashboard does not update after AIP is deleted: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1014
- SIPs started from ArchivesSpace pane fail when a parent object does not have a title (Community contribution by Dallas Pillen- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/799
- Cannot create user with accented characters/diacritics: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/261
- AIP METS and pointer METS files reference outdated METS schema: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/949
- Cannot start a transfer if transfer name has diacritics: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1051
- Non-default processing configuration is not copied over for zipped transfers (Community contribution by Wellcome Collection- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/771
- Directory level AIP metadata is not indexed: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/888
- Descriptive metadata added via GUI is not indexed for searching: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/547
- External PIDs are not searchable in Archival storage (Sponsored by Piql/NHA- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1006
- Identifiers.json import fails if 'Bind PIDs' config option is not set to 'yes' (Sponsored by Piql/NHA- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/963
- Ldap auth fails on dashboard (Sponsored by Piql/NHA- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/841
- Cannot create storage service location via amclient (Sponsored by International Institute of Social History- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/905
- It is difficult to combine status for different package types (Community contribution by Rockefeller Archive Center- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/972
- Format identification errors are not being output from the FPR command (Community contribution by Wellcome Collection- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/882
- Time zone setting not configurable (Sponsored by Piql/NHA- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/1143
- Cannot store AIP with large files (Community contribution by Jorik van Kemenade- thank you!): https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/981
And more! See https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/milestone/11 for full list of issues addresses in the 1.11 release.
Upgraded tools and dependencies
- Update to PRONOM v.96 https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/791
Please note that due to Issue 1149 the package replication functionality in the Storage Service does not work in this release. We anticipate fixing in the near future in a point release.
End of life dependencies
Python 2 has reached end of life. The Archivematica delivery team and a number of community contributors have been working on upgrading this dependency. This release merges all Python 3 code that was ready in advance of the release, while still supporting Python 2. Components which have been upgraded and/or tested using Python 3 include:
- Dashboard: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/810
- Storage Service: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/806 Note: Artefactual is not able to test some storage integrations, including Sword2, LOCKSS-o-matic and DSpace. If you can test these storage integrations and find any issues, please consider filing an issue.
- amclient: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/817
- Automation tools: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/815
- Fixity: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/814
- am/compose: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/804
- Fido: https://github.com/archivematica/Issues/issues/847
We will continue to work toward full Python 3 use in upcoming releases.